Pages

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Desire versus Reality

I find that I have left the web 2.0 arena for a while. 2 things have caused my short departure. The first is my last class for my M.O.E in computer technology education, Research and Design, a very time consuming class indeed. The most time consuming class I have ever taken actually.

The second is my first full time teaching position. I am teaching computer technology but I am not. I have a lab and computers that are sometimes slower than dial up. I can barely teach microsoft products due to constraints, much less rant and rave and open up student's worlds to web 2.0 concepts and tools. I find it utterly depressing that with limited equipment and filters and firewalls blocking access to most of what is fun and exciting about web 2.0 +, I find myself wondering,, why bother? I wonder if any of my fellow bloggers have had or have this issue? I miss my twitter and my blogs and tinkering around with all new web 2.0 gizmo's and gadgets but to be honest, It is depressing to take part yet not be able to teach what your know or are learning. I wonder how many other's find themselves waning from their blogs or the web movements because of school constraints. I'm a first year teacher and I am certainly not going to be able to change the minds of the powers that be, those with tenure, those who have already set up the policies and procedures. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. So for those of you who have followed my blog, I thank you. I will try to continue to post more and to champion the cause as best as I can, but I can't help but wonder if any other computer educators find themselves in the same boat? Are you shying away from web 2.0 because you cannot teach the concepts at your school? I am thrilled to be able to teach the students any technology that I can, but knowing that I cannot bring my students into the 21st century get's a little discouraging sometimes. Just my two cents, or one long rant.

No comments: